Microsoft Security Essentials

Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:58 pm
Game Server Admin
1555 Posts
Once more, I know this is a harware review forum, but...

I just downloaded and installed MS Security Essentials yesterday, and replaced AVG 8.5.  I never upgraded the AVG to 9.0 because it was really slowing down this 650MHz proc system.  Here's a surprise:  For once, I have something good to say about an MS product.  It's been years since that happened.  Laughing  The product is priced just right for me, free.  It has real-time protection, manual scanning at two levels, quick or full, and a fully configurable scheduled scan.  It's simple to use, and the interface is simple, but it also seems very complete.  My system has speeded up quite a bit since installing it, and it even found a virus in an mp3 file (and succesfully removed it) file on it's first "quick scan", which you have the option to run during the installation.  I'm happy with it, so far.  Anyone else using this?

[marq=left:6aec2717a6]BigBangGamers is the best gaming community ever.  Thanks BigBangTheory   :bow:  [/marq:6aec2717a6]
Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:35 pm
Colonel
87 Posts
i used it for a day then i went back to KIS 2010
Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:59 pm
Game Server Admin
1555 Posts
I ran a "full scan" last night, and it found and cleaned yet another infection, that was apparently undetected by AVG.

[marq=left:6aec2717a6]BigBangGamers is the best gaming community ever.  Thanks BigBangTheory   :bow:  [/marq:6aec2717a6]
Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:28 am
General
211 Posts
Gotta watch those "free" anit-virus progs.  From my understanding (and don't quite know this to be true) but.....   some manufacturer's (and yes, even MS) will go as far as to intentionally infect your system (via the free Anti-Virus prog itself) and then have the Anti-Virus prog detect/remove it so that it appears that they are the most awesome Anti-Virus prog in the world, hence leaving you with the feeling of wanting to actually go out to the store and purchase their product.  Basically, a technologically advanced marketing scheme.  Again, don't know this to be completely factual, but i've always been told, "You Get What You Pay For"...
Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:16 pm
Game Server Admin
1555 Posts
Yes, you do get what you pay for.  Last month, I read an article that compared several of the free AV progs.  This MS product wasn't at the top, it was in the middle somewhere.  But I liked what I read as far as the details go.  It seemed like it was closest to what I was looking for from a user standpoint, and worth a try.  Not bad for the price. so far.

And I know what you are talking about Chris.  One of those had a TV add, and It had a web based "scanner" which found all kinds of malware on my computer (in just a few seconds, mind you).  To remove the "threats", I would have to purchase their product immediately, of course.  Laughing

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:03 am
Major
48 Posts
Thats why experience pays off and reading is fundimental. Its difficult to warn some people of these scams untill they learn on thier own.
Granted some are legitimate, but reminder like hellbound said, you may be infected with up to 700 viruses, they may remove 10 free, and you have to pay $30 to have viruses removed you didnt have the day b-4. I have AVG 9.0, and I dont wory about that stuff anymore.
Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:06 am
Game Server Admin
1555 Posts
— toad @ Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:03 am
Thats why experience pays off and reading is fundimental. Its difficult to warn some people of these scams untill they learn on thier own.
Granted some are legitimate, but reminder like hellbound said, you may be infected with up to 700 viruses, they may remove 10 free, and you have to pay $30 to have viruses removed you didnt have the day b-4. I have AVG 9.0, and I dont wory about that stuff anymore.

I was using AVG, can't remember which version, and was getting performance issues from it.  My understanding is that performance was the problem with other users at the time also.  From what I've read, those performance issues were addressed with the latest version.  The MS software found a couple things on a PC or two at the initial install, that I guess AVG missed, or perhaps MSSE is over-agressive.  Anyway, all of my PCs running MSSE are running great.  If it ain't broke, I don't fix it.  Cool

Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:30 am
Game Server Admin
288 Posts
I used Norton for years, but Norton kept getting bigger and bigger, and was slowing performance.
I switched to Vipre and got a whole house license that covers ALL my computers.

It is fast, and doesn't slow my machine.
I am very happy with Vipre and would recommend it to anyone.

http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/

Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:49 am
General
211 Posts
I myself, use Webroot AV...  doesn't slow my performance either.  I would recommend to anyone...
Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:23 am
General
209 Posts
— HellBound @ Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:28 pm
Gotta watch those "free" anit-virus progs.  From my understanding (and don't quite know this to be true) but.....   some manufacturer's (and yes, even MS) will go as far as to intentionally infect your system (via the free Anti-Virus prog itself) and then have the Anti-Virus prog detect/remove it so that it appears that they are the most awesome Anti-Virus prog in the world, hence leaving you with the feeling of wanting to actually go out to the store and purchase their product.  Basically, a technologically advanced marketing scheme.  Again, don't know this to be completely factual, but i've always been told, "You Get What You Pay For"...

I've never found that to be the case. But it is true, "You get what you pay for".

I've used AVG, Avast, Kaspersky, and a few others before and I have found that Avast works the best. Kaspersky is a close second. AVG used to be good, but it kept getting bigger and bigger, like Norton, until it really slows down the comp.

~Cheese

Xfire/Steam: thecheeseman999
Forums ©