Steam Port guru help needed

Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:17 am
Game Server Admin
1555 Posts
I've done this all before, several times.  I'm still having issues with VAC disconnects.  Here are the firewall port settings in my router.  Absolutely no software firewalls of any type are used anywhere within my network.  Anybody see anything wrong?  A small piece of my brain has me asking myself about Virtual server settings, but I'm thinking that's from trying to run a game server.  At this point, no server, just the game/Steam client.  Help?  Confused  

[marq=left:6aec2717a6]BigBangGamers is the best gaming community ever.  Thanks BigBangTheory   :bow:  [/marq:6aec2717a6]
Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:06 pm
Site Owner
1645 Posts
i have never had to define pinholes for steam.  Do these VAC disconnects occur if your computer is straight to the modem with no router?

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:52 pm
Game Server Admin
1555 Posts
— BigBangTheory @ Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:06 am
i have never had to define pinholes for steam.  Do these VAC disconnects occur if your computer is straight to the modem with no router?

Here's the link to the Steam support page that defines the pinholes:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8571-GLVN-8711

Word on the net is that some newer routers auto-sense where the pinholes need to be and open the ports for you.  Comforting, isn't it? Very Happy

Since my internal and external IP addresses are static, doing the direct connect test is quite a bit more difficult than moving some cable connections around.  I realize that the test needs to be performed to eliminate the router as the failure point, but everything else on my network is working as it should, including GFWL games on the same machine with the Steam problems.  I am waiting for some important items to show up on those working lines, and I have something several orders of magnitude more important than gaming early next week that requires my network to be functioning.  So that test is being pushed off until the middle of next week, at which point I can actually flatten the partition and start with a fresh install of Windows on that machine, if it goes that far.  I sent Steam support a bunch of screenies and some other files they asked for yesterday, so we'll see what they come back with.

[marq=left:6aec2717a6]BigBangGamers is the best gaming community ever.  Thanks BigBangTheory   :bow:  [/marq:6aec2717a6]
Forums ©