<12 >

Let's build a map!

Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:43 am
General
179 Posts
You heard me, Let's do it; A BBG exclusive CS:S map. One that was envisioned, created and playtested exclusively by the wonderful community we've got here.
I propose this thread as a Soundoff board and a shameless plea for a good idea.
Any takers?

Edited by BitterSweet:  Let's upload versions of the map here, and we'll get BBT to upload them to the server.  The more people we can get playtesting the map, the faster we can work out the bugs.  We don't need to put it in the rotation until it's complete, but we can have it as admin selectable only.
Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:29 am
General
159 Posts
Lots of ramps, ladders, and of course a few good sniping spots for Bittersweet  Wink

Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:55 am
Game Server Admin
187 Posts
You should make a chaos corridor. Basically a long open area with spots on either side that are good for ambushes and a central area that is easy to defend.

Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:24 pm
Game Server Admin
1555 Posts
I haven't dug that far into it.  I just yesterday learned that the tool to be used is Hammer, so I'm a complete n00b.  I think Urded's idea might be good for our second map, if the first one doesn't suck.  The map I had envisioned, so far anyway, was much simpler, something the would be easy to have a good .nav on.  I want it to be fun to play.  I thought of icy_world, and back when we had that, that was one of the maps that it was almost certain to have people join, and probably holds the record for BBG CS:S "human full" time.  It's a very simple, but fun to play map.  I thought about another map I'd played on, which was just a big square, with a line of 4 or 5 boxes evenly spaced across the front side of each team's spawn.  Again, simple yet fun.

I wanted to do soemthing a bit more complicated, but not by much.  That got me thinking of the soccer map.  To start out and get one playable, I was thinking we take that map and tweak it a bit, add say 3 entrance tunnels to the field in the stands at each end, say midway down to the ground, with a short tunnel connecting them, this would be each teams spawn & buy areas.  Put one bombsite down around the goal on T side, another off to one side in the stands.  We'd have to play with it until we figured out exactly where good and fair bombsites should be exactly.  Once we've gotten that much perfected to be playable, then I'd say go back and add more navigateables like more tunnels, stairways, food stands, restrooms, etc. that you'd expect in a stadium.

I realize that map making can be very fun to do in itself.  The map I wanted to create was a map that was fun to play.

I wish I had 2 straight months to work on something like this, but I don't, so I think making a team effort of it is a great idea.

[marq=left:6aec2717a6]BigBangGamers is the best gaming community ever.  Thanks BigBangTheory   :bow:  [/marq:6aec2717a6]
Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:43 am
Game Server Admin
1555 Posts
I found 2 files for the soccer map, the .bsp and .nav.  I don't see .res for this one, is that required?  Confused  I've attached what I have here.

[marq=left:6aec2717a6]BigBangGamers is the best gaming community ever.  Thanks BigBangTheory   :bow:  [/marq:6aec2717a6]
Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:03 pm
General
360 Posts
Thank You

Drop Dead!
Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:37 pm
Game Server Admin
1555 Posts
I might be shut down before I get started.  I figured out that I needed Source SDK to run Hammer correctly.  So I got that going, I was even able to load & run in the game the skybox map.  When I went to start playing with some of the building tools, Hammer just locks up.  CPU usage shoots up to 100% and stays there, almost an hour in one case.  Each time I am forced to use the task manager to kill Hammer.  I've found plenty of stuff on the internet where others had the exact same problem, but no solutions.  :wall:  

Anyone out there in CS:S map building land have any ideas?

Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:21 pm
Game Server Admin
1555 Posts
Go, go, go Otis!!!!  From the amount of posts I can find, and the lack of solutions, I'm guessing that Source SDK/Hammer isn't AMD friendly.  Otis says that his 1st version is almost done, that's great news.  Very Happy  

On another front, insanepartguy has started his own server.  He needs help with the configuration.  He is having to enter console commands every map to allow people to join at this point.  Please help.  Smile

Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:53 pm
General
179 Posts
Alrighty folks, I have the first complete version done!
Anyone who would like it, shoot me a PM and I'll email it to you right away  Very Happy
Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:28 pm
Site Owner
1645 Posts
ok, im just now seeing this thread...  I get ot it this weekend

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:35 pm
Game Server Admin
1555 Posts
There is a new version with a cover & tunnels on the ramp.  Many more boxes, nooks & crannies as request by some members.  I have it to test on my local server, but it isn't really playable yet due to the NAV file.  The BOTs don't seem to come out of the lower tunnels at this point.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:43 am
General
360 Posts
Did someone turn the lights on yet?  Just sayin.

Thank You from the Americas Cup Yacht Captain

Drop Dead!
Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:41 am
Game Server Admin
1555 Posts
— Gunney @ Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:43 pm
Did someone turn the lights on yet?  Just sayin.

Thank You from the Americas Cup Yacht Captain

I think so, most of the action takes place in the lower tunnels with the latest version.

With the previous version, the version on the server now, funny thing, LJ, myself, and 1 or 2 others had a great time on the Temple map as it exists on the server.  Nobody else has complained about the lighting.  I wonder if you can adjust the lighting with your video card settings..I know I had to go thru that  Confused

Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:51 am
General
360 Posts
I played it some today and it is still hard to see players at the other end of the map, ground level.  Now if you get up on the Temples it is fine.

Thank You and riding with Dennis Conner on Tuesday....

Drop Dead!
Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:53 am
General
179 Posts
Okay, so for v0.7 the changes to be made:

-Smooth out the numerous graphical bugs (please contact me directly if you find any at all)

-Add lights on the ground level (currently there are none)

-Re-build the .NAV (currently the bots have no way to climb stairs, it gets reset every new bit of walkable space that gets added)

- Fix the windows in the overpass to break and add windowframes

- change the middle walls in the maze room underground into one sheet of unbreakable glass (opinions?)

-Possibly flatten the overpass. (I want y'all's opinions about this, it would make fixing the graphical hiccups not a pythagorean math equation, but it would still be flattening the only 'ramp' in the map)

- Anything else I hear about.

Thanks for your help!
<12 >
Forums ©